Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Words, Words, Words

I read Infinite Jest a couple summers ago, but I've been following with some interest the Infinite Summer project, in which a bunch of people read this gargantuan novel together and try to make sense of it on a blog. Their reading schedule is somewhere around page 450 right now. I was looking back at some notes I took while reading the novel, and I found that at around this point, I made a big list of themes, keywords, motifs, etc., that I'd noticed in the novel so far. Some are pretty obvious, but I notice that even now the list is somewhat helpful to me in recalling the book and reviewing it mentally. Here it is:

Themes, Keywords, Motifs, &c. (@ pg. 450)
maps
dependence/independence
the truth of cliches
obsessions
America
fathers and sons
farts
turds
secrets
film (why cartridges? ammo ref?)
suicide
psychiatrists
parody
ephebes
deformities
convexities/concavities
teeth
tattoos
mothers
cages
buildings and bodies
Boston
Arizona
grammar and usage
[sic]
waste
entertainment
freedom
terrorism
ambition
class
slapstick/gonzo
stasis
advertising
corporate history
academia
booze/drugs/sugar/nicotine
sports
masks
spiders
irony
infinity
masturbation
urban legends
shadows
halation
cardioids
copia (a basic rhetorical method for this book (see 172-76 and 200-04)
Marlon Brando
Bob Hope
April (Fools Day)
November
Depend Adult Undergarment
Glad (Trash Bag?)
annular
interdependence
blacks/whites
skin problems
argot
masculinity/femininity

No comments: