Sunday, February 28, 2010

Adventures at QT (4)

Today I was at the soda fountain (I've fallen off the wagon), and this guy was scanning the various drink offerings, obviously frustrated and hurried. He had a full 32-oz. cup of cola in one hand and an empty one in the other.

"What are you looking for?" I asked him.

"Some kind of fruit juice, something that's not soda," he said.

I looked with him for a moment. "Here's peach tea," I said. "But I guess that's not really juice. Strawberry Fanta?"

"Yeah, I guess he'll like that," he said and started to fill the empty cup.

"Who are you getting it for?" I asked.

"My son," he said. "He's four, and if he gets too much sugar, you know, he gets kind of hyper."

"Yeah," I said.

"And we're on our way to church, so we don't want him to get too wound up." He finished filling the 32-oz. cup for his four-year-old.

"Well, good luck," I said, as he went to put lids on his drinks.

"Thanks. We'll need it," he said, laughing.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I recently stopped drinking soda and I also got aggravated that QT doesn't have any non-soda options (besides tea, I hate tea). The one near me has lemon-lime Gatorade, which is a step in the right direction, but still not wonderful. I don't like paying $2 for a green tea when the 32 oz fountain drinks are $0.59!

samizdat said...

Why don't you give your little brat some W-A-T-E-R?